We bid farewell to our old friend and footrest the coffee table recently because it has been the cause of one too many accidents. A couple weeks a go I was up putting the girls to bed and reading them a chapter out of a book we have started and not finished. Ryan was down stairs with the wee man getting his routine underway...(with his medical routine at nights I deserve an honorary nursing degree!) Anyway, with his diaper changed and jammies on, Ryan left him to beebop in the living room as he went to prepare his cocktail of nightly medications.
Suddenly I heard Emmett screaming, then Ryan screaming (he would not like the use of that word, I should change it to yelling but he was screaming like Emmett). "Tawnee, there's lots of blood! Come help me!" By the time I got down stairs with my entourage of fellow nurses screaming, "I wanna see the blood! Ewww!"
The poor kid had a good gash in his forehead which promptly sent him and Ryan to the ER for three stitches. The best we can imagine because Emmett was a lone in the living room when he damaged himself because of the positioning of the diaper wipe tub to be used as a foot stool, was that he was climbing on the coffee table and *BAM* hole in forehead. Boys....one is good for now.
In October Kadence was playing in the laundry basket and fell backwards and hit her head on the coffee table and got two staples.
So after staples and stitches, we have retired the coffee table until the kids are in college and are a little more sturdy on their own two feet...hopefully that will come a little sooner in life, or all my furniture will be blow-up soon!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Staples, stitches and the death of a coffee table
Posted by Ryan and Tawnee at 6:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Poor little guy. I have never been a fan of coffee tables for this very reason. We don't have one but I am always paranoid when we go home to visit the grandparents - both sets have one and one has sharp edges!
And congrats on the new home. I want to know how the whole process goes for you. Will you be in the same ward as you were before or pretty close to the same area? We have talked about building but it sounds daunting so we haven't thought about it again! I hope your experience is a good one.
Oh my gosh! I have not been allowed to have a coffee table for years now because as clean as I am that thing just attracted paper clutter. I say "allowed" loosely because Trent doesn't put his foot down often, but one day I came home and the coffee table was gone. I never thought of it being a stationary weapon to falling kids. After hearing this I am SO glad we don't have one. Good for you for letting it go for the safety of little ones still finding their balance.
Awww... poor little pumpkin!
I know I'm a blogging slacker... in my defense, I'm going to school full time, and working part time, on top of the full time mom gig! Eeek!
Very cute little boy, even with the stitches. Did he get part of his hair shaved because of the stitches? His hair is going to be so beautiful.
Uhg! Poor kid! Still a cutie through it all:-)
Little boys! Poor kids, it looks like he was back to his cute self really quickly.
That is one cursed coffee table! I'm always surprised at how much head wounds bleed too... THANKFULLY (knock on wood) Colton has never hit his head hard enough to merit stitches.
Chick dig scars.
Post a Comment