Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Third Envelope




Just before Christmas we got our third envelope from my parents for Christmas, inside was a $50 bill and instuctions that we were to find someone who needed the money more then ourselves and do something for them as a family, and to stick to the $50. Well, we broke the final rule but we decided that as a family we would "adopt a soldier" , we couldn't decided on a soldier deployed or one that is in the Walter Reed Medical Center for injuries. We decided to do one of each. After further discusion we decided to send a package to a kid Ryan had taught in Young Mens who is now serving in Iraq. His name is Anthony and when we called his parents to ask how we could send it to him, his dad was very touched and excited we would do that for Anthony.
Kadence colored a couple pictures one for each of the soldiers, she was so excited she kept telling me she was coloring for "her shoulders", and then kept asking me thier names like she was going to write them down. We all went shopping with the lists we got of US Troop Care Packages website, and Kadence had her own ideas what we needed to send them. We had an argument over the spongebob toothbrush she choose vs. the oral-b one I picked. In the end I convinced her that they needed a toothbrush bigger then one made for little girls.
So Anthony's package is on it way, and the one for the injured soldier I had to send to the US Troop Care Package headquarters in Pasco, WA. Yup, Dad, I said Pasco, WA. I called to get the shipping address and the lady laughed when I told her I not only was born in Othello but lived in Pasco.
This activity took more time but was by far the funnest to do as a family. It was fun to think of an inventive way to spend the money and it felt great to finally do a little something for the brave men and women who do so much for us.
As a mother I often feel such graditude for those willing to sacrifice so much to keep my girls safe and allow me the freedoms to teach my girls about thier loving Father in Heaven. I love this country and am grateful to raise my childern to be proud to be an American.
Well before I get carried away, I just better close this with a thank you Mom and Dad, this was another fun Christmas.

2 comments:

PHATT Devil said...

Those bowling pics are classics! Hope all is well
CORY

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.