Thursday, September 10, 2009

Whale Watching


So this weekend we ran away to Cape Cod for a night, it is only three and a half hours away so we decided to go up on Sunday and stay at the HoJo (Howard Johnson) for the night. We wanted to make sure we didn't miss the whale watching boat the next day. It was a horrible night's sleep but well worth it the next day.

The night before we went out on one of the beaches to walk around and see what we could see. We saw dead horseshoe crabs and a dead shark. Veronica found it down between the rocks...it was kind of cool. It was more beautiful then you hear about, we stayed out on the beach and watched the sunset. You may have heard that there are Great White sharks circling the Cape right now so it wasn't hard to convice the girls to stay out of the water.




The next morning we had breakfast at a place listed as one of the top ten places in the country to start your day in USA Today, The Keltic Kitchen. It was fantastic, Ryan even got his beans for breakfast, a single tear even glissened as he gazed upon his keltic feast. I was just glad he didn't break out in a little Scottish gig and dance about the restraunt. It was fantastic food, if you are ever there, write that down and go, you will thank me later.

Anyway, then we grabbed a Princess Uno game and some sandwitches for the boat and went whale watching. And whale watch we did, we weren't on the boat long before we (I actually..yes I am bragging) spotted our first whale. He was just inside the Cape, after that little thrill we moved on and saw 9 more, yes 10 total!! All humpbacks and all incredible.

Two of them even came over to the boat and seemed to play with it, Emmett got one look at them and threw his binky at them. It was lost to the ocean. One lady got so excited she dropped her camcorder! One of the whales did a little tail flap at us like he was waving hello and Cambelle about died. She has told me every day this week that she did not like the whale saying hi to her! I bought a little book about whales in the gift shop and she points to the tail pictures to illustrate her point.





The other whale wouldn't leave the bit of the boat just below Kadence and I. He would stick his head out of the water to peek at us, rolled over like he wanted us to rub his belly. I told Kae that he must have thought she was cute and probably wanted her to be his girlfriend. She said,"I don't think I can be...right Mom?"
If we took him home with us where would he live? The bathtub? She said,"he would take up all the room, but we could take turns in the bath." Nice to know she was considering it.

We saw a mama and her baby, and the baby played among the dolphins around it like a puppy. It was incredible. It was almost 5 hours on the water and well worth the trip. Really cool...I would love to go again!

5 comments:

Kristy F. said...

Soooo jealous of where you live!!! It is a beautiful place. Would love to go back sometime.

TammeNBen said...

I am so jealous! Sounds like a wonderful birthday.

Texas Tingey said...

Oh good times! My kids would love whale watching!! So cool that you were so luck to see so many and so close!!!
Love the 'angry face off'. So funny!

jacblanch said...

That sounds incredible! I would love to go whale watching. I'm so glad you guys are taking advantage of all this cool stuff while you live there. Brent's itching to live somewhere other than AZ. Anyway, I love reading your cute stories. :)

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

How fun! If you go again you need to call and we will meet you there!