Monday, May 17, 2010

Mother's Day

I have been wanting to write about my Mother's Day this year but haven't been too sure how to write about it. There is so much to say but at the same time so much to leave out. This year has been a special year of highs and lows in the mothering department as I have had the pleasure of being the "fill in" mother for my little 8 year old niece Veronica, all the while balancing the needs of my own three children.

Ryan always makes Mother's day special with cards from the kids and flowers, dinner and a nap. He even got me a couple books. Kadence my little party planner helped with everything, she gets so excited about every holiday like everything is Christmas. I love that about her. She even made two presents for me at school and hid them in the house, one was under her bed and the other was under MY rug! She is a hoot! She was so delighted to give them to me and have me read them outloud to her. She wrote that her favorite thing I cook for her is "shiken"

But that night Veronica gave me her gifts that she had made me at school. It was a flower pot and a pen with a flower on top that sits in beans, very cute! But the card she wrote herself, made my year.

The first line was handwritten, it was a poem about the things she loved about me. She wrote that I had taught her to read, helped her with her homework everyday, and cooked the best food ever. But what made me special was that I loved her like Kadence, Cambelle and Emmett.

That was it. That was all I needed for Mother's day this year, it has been the hardest year of my life making sure all of them know that I love them. I know my kids know it, but I needed little Veronica to know it. She has been hurt in her short life by those who should have protected her the most, getting her to feel safe again was our biggest goal this year. Knowing she does absolutely made my Mother's day.

I love this child. I will miss this child. I have only 4 more weeks of her smiles in my home until she returns to her daddy and sisters, and I know that is where she belongs but she is going to take a piece of my heart with her. It is an honor to be her "fill in" mother.

I love you Veronica.

7 comments:

jacblanch said...

She is SO blessed to have you for a "fill-in" mom. I'm sure she will always remember this year as one of the best of her life. You are so amazing for being able to love her so and treat her as one of your very own. Heaven knows how much she needed that. You are an incredible mother!

Anonymous said...

You are AMAZING, Tawnee! One I have always looked up to and admired... and still do. So happy you had a wonderful Mother's Day... you deserve it!

lishajeanne said...

What a blessing you are in her life. She needed you at a critical time and I think you delivered and then some. You are a wonderful mom. Never doubt it.

TammeNBen said...

I am so glad you were her "fill in" mom. I know, you were the right one for the job. Thank you for loving her and giving her the chance to feel a mothers love.

*Monica* said...

Oh Tawnee, that was beautiful!


“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”


Forest E. Witcraft

Amy said...

Wow.

Sally said...

oh tawnee...this one made me cry. You are beautiful inside and out and I absolutely love reading about your little family. I miss you guys so much.