Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Camping in Maine






Sounds terribly romantic doesn't it...then you find out that the camp ground out on the island that you are camping on has no showers...romance fizzles.

But it was as beautiful as it sounds, we even had lobster cooked in seawater, I wish I had pictures of it. It was delicious and messy. Best kind of meal.



Veronica has never been camping so it was quite a thrill for her, she was fascinated by the fire. Spent most of her time looking for things to watch burn in it!

Ryan's parents drove from Portland Oregon...not Maine, and crossed Canada to meet us in Maine...well that wasn't the only reason I mean airplanes are a lot faster, but I think we were just a really fun u-turn on their big adventure. It was fun to be a piece of it.

We took the girls swimming on the beach there, I didn't think they would want to get in because the water was painfully cold. But that didn't seem to stop them, they were in the waves within no time. They had a blast and the next day that was all they wanted to do. We spent time searching the tide pools and only found one crab and lots of snails. But that crab was pretty cool to little kids.


We cooked with the dutch ovens and I didn't burn anything this time...knock on wood for next time! We made biscuits and gravy, chili with a cornbread top and peach dump cake. It was tasty...I gained two pounds...that was probably from the lobster!


When things were a little slow Grandma tried to teach the girls hopscotch...I stress tried.

After our camping we drove to Boston for the night and tomorrow I will chronicle that bit of our adventure...I LOVE Boston! I love the history and the flavor of that place.

9 comments:

jacblanch said...

I love the pics of the kids! Looks like a fun time! Can't wait to hear about Boston. The east coast really interests me. We've only been to Philly, which was fun, but it left me wanting to explore more of the east coast.

Jenn said...

4 kids now! I just got caught up-you are awesome!

Texas Tingey said...

Ahhhh! I wanna go!! Can't wait to see your Boston pics!
Don't y'all call Veronica, Ronnie??? I hope so...I just sent cards and put hers addressed to Ronnie Johnson! Is that right?? Please tell me that is okay?? Uhg!!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

We have good friends that live in Maine and everything they do sounds like an adventure and just so much fun. I am jealous you got to go - I would love to sometime!
I was wondering if you are going to be around the first week of Aug? Dave has a conf. in NYC and I was thinking it might be fun to drive your way and see you while he is gone! Let me know!

TammeNBen said...

Maine camping looks loads more fun than Texas! I have always wanted to go to Maine. Its official....I'm jealous!

I am glad Ronnie got to go with you.

Amy said...

Awesome camping trip! Congrats on the dutch oven. You're a better woman than I am.

Lana said...

YUMMY DUTCH OVEN COBBLER!!! I want to come camp with you. Sounds like loads of fun. :)

Traeger Tribe said...

So JEALOUS! I visited Maine when I was 14 but haven't been back - I LOVED the trip except for the Lobster part. Although, now that my "tastes" are more experienced I'd probably love that too! And what fun experiences for the girls to have (and Emmett!)

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks like so much fun! I can't believe how big they are getting,especially Aarons oldest